Neil Young cancels New Zealand shows

Music 30/11/2016
Neil Young has cancelled plans to perform in New Zealand next year, according to Frontier Touring.
 
The folk-music star was set to perform at Auckland's Vector Arena and Wellington's TSB Bank Arena in March, 2017, but the promoter announced on Tuesday that these shows aren't going ahead.
 
"We regret to advise that Neil Young will unfortunately no longer be undertaking a 2017 AU/NZ headline tour as previously teased on socials," Frontier Touring's official Twitter account announced.
However, Young is still named on the bill for Australian festival Bluesfest in April, and organisers have declined to comment.
 
Frontier Touring NZ says tickets to the concerts here weren't yet on sale, hence no refunds need to be offered.
 
Young was in headlines today for a lengthy Facebook statement on Standing Rock, calling on President Obama to intervene in the North Dakota pipeline standoff and stop the "unnecessary and violent aggression" faced by protesters. He also criticised President-elect Donald Trump in the post.
 
"The surprise president claims he does not believe in climate science nor the threats it presents and his actions and words reflect that claim in tangible and dangerous ways," said Young. "Do not be intimidated by the surprise presidents' cabinet appointees as they descend the golden escalator. Those who behave in racist ways are not your leaders. The golden tower is not yours. The White House is your house."
 
Newshub. / NZN