Liz Gunn is joined in studio by Marty Duda of Radio13 to look back at the most well-known musicians that have passed on in 2018.
They include Aretha Franklin, The Cranberries lead singer Dolores O'Riordan, Dennis Edwards, lead singer of the Temptations, and DJ Fontana, drummer for Elvis Presley.
10. Honey Lantree (aged 75) died December 23rd. Honey was a pioneering female musician who was the drummer for British invasion group The Honeycombs, who had a major hit in 1964 with the Joe Meek-produced single Have I The Right.
Play: Have I The Right? – The Honeycombs 1964
9. Tony Joe White (aged 75) died October 24th. Songwriter/performer known for the tracks Polk Salad Annie, Rainy Night In Georgia and Steamy Windows. A New Zealand Favourite.
Play: Willie & Laura Mae Jones – Tony Joe White 1969
8. Joe Osborn (aged 81) died December 14th. Session bass player who, as one of the legendary “Wrecking Crew”, played on over 200 Top 40 hits - including California Dreaming, Bridge Over Troubled Water, Aquarius/Let The Sunshine In, I Think I Love You and Close To You.
Play: Midnight Confessions – The Grass Roots 1968
7. D.J. Fontana (aged 87) died June 13th. Drummer for Elvis Presley from 1954-1968. Played on all the big hits, including Heartbreak Hotel, Don’t Be Cruel, Hound Dog, Jailhouse Rock and Little Sister.
Play: Jailhouse Rock – Elvis Presley 1957
6. John “Jabo” Starks (aged 80) died May 1st. Drummer for James Brown between 1965 and 1975. Together with drummer Clyde Stubblefield, they formed the funkiest drum team ever.
Play: Super Bad – James Brown & The JBs 1970
5. Nokie Edwards (aged 82) died March 12th. Guitarist with The Ventures, the influential surf group formed in late '50s. Nokie defined the surf guitar sound.
Play: Walk Don’t Run ’64 – The Ventures 1964
4. Dolores O’Riordan (aged 46) died January 15th. Lead singer for Irish rock group The Cranberries. Their hits include Linger and Zombie.
Play: Linger – The Cranberries 1993
3. Pete Shelley (aged 63) died 6th December. Iconic lead singer and guitarist in 70's punk band The Buzzcocks. A fan favourite who will be missed. RIP.
Play: Ever Fallen In Love - The Buzzcocks 1978
2. Dennis Edwards (aged 74) died February 1st. Lead vocalist for The Temptations from 1968-1976. Replaced original lead singer David Ruffin and sang on classic “Psychedelic soul” period hits such as Ball of Confusion, Cloud Nine and I Can’t Get Next To You.
Play: Ball of Confusion – The Temptations 1970
1. Aretha Franklin (aged 76) died August 16th. The Queen Of Soul !!! Gone but never, ever forgotten.
Play: Chain Of Fools – Aretha Franklin 1968, then My Song – Aretha Franklin 1968