Mike van de Elzen has a delicious and healthy alternative to traditional berry shortbread, that is sure to please the whole family.
Prep time 25 mins
Cooking time 30 mins
- 1 cup plain flour
- 6 tablespoons icing sugar
- zest of a lemon
- few drops of vanilla essence
- 1 cup walnuts, crushed
- 250g unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 2 cups frozen berries
- Preheat the oven to 180°C on Bake.
- Line the base of a square 20cm baking tin with baking paper.
- Combine the flour, icing sugar, lemon, vanilla and walnuts in a large bowl.
- Rub in the butter with your fingertips until it resembles crumbs.
- Press about two thirds of the shortbread mixture into the tin. Be sure to press firmly.
- Scatter the berries across the shortbread, followed by the remaining shortbread mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Allow to cool before cutting into pieces.
The Long Lunch with Wendyl Nissen, 12pm - 3pm on RadioLIVE and streaming live to the rova app on Android and iPhone.