This rich and creamy chicken soup is packed with lovely vegetables and hearty lentils; a well-rounded and delicious meal for the family! Recipe by our favourite Nadia Lim.
Serves 6-8 Prep Time 20 Minutes Cook Time 25 Minutes
- 250g streaky bacon, diced (we love Hellers)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 large or 4 small carrots, peeled and diced or grated (we love Wilcox Beta Bites)
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 1 leek, top removed, thinly sliced
- 450g chicken thighs, boneless, skinless (we love Waitoa Free Range)
- 2 Tbsp fresh thyme, chopped (we love Superb Herb)
- ½ cup split red lentils (we love Alison’s Pantry)
- 2 cups chicken stock (we love Campbell’s)
- 2 cups water
- ¼ cup sour cream
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a large pot on medium to high heat. Add bacon and cook for about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and add onion, carrots, celery and leek. Stir, cover and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally until vegetables are just tender.
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels and season with salt. Add to pot with thyme, lentils, stock, water and salt and bring to a simmer while stirring. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer gently for 15-20 minutes until chicken is cooked and lentils are tender.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove chicken from soup, roughly dice or shred and return to pot. Stir in sour cream and season to taste with salt and pepper.