Seafood chowder is a an age old classic for a reason. Nothing quite beats a thick and creamy seafood soup served with a side of hot garlic bread and a sprinkle of parsley, so why would you change it?
Serves 4 Prep 10 minutes Cook 20 minutes
- 8-10 mussels – cooked and cut into small bits (we love United Fisheries)
- 4-6 prawns – raw whole (we love United Fisheries)
- 1 squid tube cut into rings – raw (we love United Fisheries)
- 4-6 scallops – raw thawed if frozen and cut into chunks (we love United Fisheries)
- 1 fillet of white meaty fish eg hoki cut into small chunks
- 1 cup fish stock
- A drizzle of olive oil (we Olivado)
- 40g butter
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 1 large carrot, finely diced or grated (we love Wilcox Beta Bites)
- 1/3 cup standard flour
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup white wine (we love Ara Single Estate Pinot Gris)
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup cream
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard (we love Delmaine)
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (we love Greggs)
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- A pinch of chilli flakes (we love Greggs)
- 1 teaspoon paprika (we love Greggs)
- Salt and pepper
- 4 Giannis Garlic Spread Breads, as a side
- A handful of parsley (we love Superb Herb)
- In a large pot over a medium heat, add the olive oil and melt the butter and brown off the onion and carrot. Once brown add the flour stiring so the flour soaks up all the butter and turns into a roux. Add the wine. Add a little fish stock and stir to thick paste. Gradually add the rest stirring to ensure no lumps form. Add bay leaf.
- Using a whisk, add milk and cream, a third at a time, to form a smooth glossy base.
- Turn the heat down to low and add chopped mussels, prawns,scallops, squid, wholegrain mustard, pepper, nutmeg, garlic and chilli. Bring to a gentle boil, being careful not to boil too rapidly or it will split.
- Cook for 5 minutes, then add fresh fish and cook for a further 3 minutes. If it becomes too thick, add some extra stock or water to thin.
- Season to taste with sea salt and garnish with parsley and paprika.
- Serve with garlic bread.