A lovely Thai chicken potato curry recipe using waxy NZ potatoes like Nadine, Draga or Frisia.
Serves: 4-6 Prep Time: 20 Minutes Cook Time: 25-30 Minutes
500g medium waxy potatoes e.g. Nadine or Perlas
1 tbsp oil
3 tbsp Thai green curry paste (We love Ayam)
400g tin coconut milk
500g chicken breast (We love Waitoa)
100g green beans
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp cornflour
1 lime, juice and zest or 1 kaffir lime leaf, finely chopped
½ tsp chilli flakes
Large handful of fresh herbs – coriander/thai basil/basil
Chopped peanuts or cashews, optional to garnish (We love Alison’s Pantry)
- Chop potatoes into even bite-sized chunks, place in a medium saucepan of boiling water
and cook for 5 minutes, or till softened, then drain.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat and cook the onion for about a minute. Add the curry paste and saute for 2 minutes to release the aromas.
- Pour in the coconut milk and water and let it come to a simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Stir in the fish sauce and sugar, then add the chicken. Turn the heat down slightly, cover and simmer for about 8 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Next add the potatoes, green beans, lime zest and juice or kaffir lime and finally mix the
cornflour with 1 tbsp of the sauce from the dish, then stir. Simmer for a final 5-8 minutes til thickened slightly and heated through.
- Garnish with freshly chopped coriander or basil, chilli flakes and peanuts/cashews if using. Enjoy!