What you need to know
- A shooter opened fire at a mosque in Christchurch near Hagley Park
- Newshub has been told there were 29 shots heard
- Multiple people have been injured with reports of six killed
- A witness told Newshub a shooter was dressed in military gear and with a high powered rifle.
- All Christchurch schools and hospitals have been placed into urgent lockdown
- Armed police were deployed at 1:40pm and are urging those in the city to stay indoors.
Do you know more? Email us at email@example.com
"I could hear a whole bunch of popping, I thought it was fireworks," said Christchurch resident Alex Hill.
"Someone said they counted 29 [shots,]" he told Newshub.
Another man told Magic Talk he saw people running out of the mosque, and that he had seen a man in military gear with a high powered gun.
"I heard what I thought was a real loud backfire of a car," the man told Magic Talk.
"And the next minute I turned to my right and just saw people running out of the mosque, and obviously just a couple of more shots and a lady fell over and then a guy in full military gear with what looked like a really high powered gun pointing down the road firing"
"Full camo gear and he didn't look like he had a care in the world"
A caller spoke to Sean Plunket earlier on Magic Talk about the incident.