Mike King came onto The AM Show to explain why he is returning his New Zealand Order of Merit Medal. The mental health activist said that "things haven't changed and so many are still suffering".
Trigger Warning: This video contains mentions of suicide.
"The reason I am taking this back is because I want people who are struggling to know that I see you, we see you, we feel you and I am going to do everything in my power, everything I've got until my last breath making sure that whatever Government is in power - things are going to change. "
"If I give up and look after myself then I am just like the rest of them who sit in their little ivory towers, work nine to five and then go home and pat themselves on the back.
"Someone has to care and someone has to be there as a voice for those people who feel they've lost their voice."
Where to find help and support:
- Shine (domestic violence) - 0508 744 633
- Women's Refuge - 0800 733 843 (0800 REFUGE)
- Need to Talk? - Call or text 1737
- What's Up - 0800 WHATS UP (0800 942 8787)
- Lifeline - 0800 543 354 or (09) 5222 999 within Auckland
- Youthline - 0800 376 633, text 234, email email@example.com or online chat
- Samaritans - 0800 726 666
- Depression Helpline - 0800 111 757
- Suicide Crisis Helpline - 0508 828 865 (0508 TAUTOKO)
- Shakti Community Council - 0800 742 584