LISTEN: Christchurch barber Matt Brown does much more than cut hair.
He's turned his barbershop into a safe space where men can talk about the issues that are affecting them in the hopes it will help break the cycle of abuse.
Brown is also the co-founder of the anti-domestic violence campaign She Is Not Your Rehab which aims to help people in family violence situations, how they can heal and turn their lives around.
Speaking to Magic Talk's Danny Watson and Leah Panapa, Brown reflected on the difficulties he had in his own life growing up in an abusive home.
"It was traumatic to watch your brothers, your siblings and sisters get the beatings, then yourself.. and then to witness your mother.
"The powerlessness that you experience as a kid, not being able to save your mother," he told Magic Talk.
Listen to the full interview with Matt Brown discussing breaking the chain of intergenerational domestic violence above.
Where to find help and support:
- Shine (domestic violence) - 0508 744 633
- Women's Refuge - 0800 733 843 (0800 REFUGE)
- Need to Talk? - Call or text 1737
- What's Up - 0800 WHATS UP (0800 942 8787)
- Lifeline - 0800 543 354 or (09) 5222 999 within Auckland
- Youthline - 0800 376 633, text 234, email firstname.lastname@example.org or online chat
- Samaritans - 0800 726 666
- Depression Helpline - 0800 111 757
- Suicide Crisis Helpline - 0508 828 865 (0508 TAUTOKO)
- Shakti Community Council - 0800 742 584
If it is an emergency and you feel like you or someone else is at risk, call 111.