Making the perfect roast chicken is easier than it sounds, and this recipe is a guaranteed winner. Flavoured butter nestled under the chicken skins packs in lots of flavours and results in a juicy bird.
Cook Time: 1hr 30 Minutes
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- 1.6kg whole chicken (we love Waitoa Free Range)
- 200g salted butter, softened (we love Lewis Road Creamery)
- 1/4 cup chopped herbs; we used thyme, sage and parsley (we use Superb Herbs)
- 1 lemon
- 1 orange
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- Salad greens, tomatoes and new spuds to serve
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees celcius.
- In a bowl, combine the softened butter with the chopped herbs. Zest the lemon and orange into the bowl, add the garlic and pepper, then stir to combine.
- Place the chicken into a roasting tray. Use your hands to carefully loosen the skin from the chicken, while keeping the skin in tact. Next, take handfuls of the butter and place all over the chicken beneath the skin. Spread out until the chicken is evenly covered.
- Chop the lemon and orange in half, and place in the cavity.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes per 500g, then remove from the oven and rest for 10 minutes before carving.
- Serve with new spuds (we love Wilcox Perlas) and a Leaderbrand green salad and Suga-Babes tomatoes.